Date: 05 August – 21 August 2016
Opening Day: 05 August 2016
Closing Day: 21 August 2016
Venue: Maracana Stadium, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
More than 11000 athletes from 207 National Olympic Committees
First time entrants Kosovo, South Sudan and the Refugee Olympic Team, took part
The games featured 28 Olympic sports, including rugby sevens and golf, which were added to the Olympic programme in 2009.
Top Ten List:
India at the Rio Olympics 2016
• The Indian Olympic Association (IOA) had sent a total of 117 athletes, the nation’s largest ever delegation.
• Indian won only two medals, one silver and one bronze, in the Olympics games.
• Badminton player P V Sindhu won silver medal in women’s singles badminton event. With this, she became the first Indian woman to clinch a silver medal in Olympics.
• Wrestler Sakshi Malik secured a bronze in the 58 kg category to become India’s first female wrestler to win an Olympic medal.
• India had qualified one artistic gymnast into the Olympic competition for the first time since 1964. Dipa Karmakar became the first Indian female ever to book an Olympic spot in the apparatus events and all-around event at the Olympic Test Event. She narrowly missed out in the bronze medal, finishing 4th in the finals of the event with a score of 15.066.
• Abhinav Bindra came fourth in the Men’s 10m Air Rifle singles event after losing a shootoff for the top 3 to Serhiy Kulish.
• Indian long distance runner Lalita Babar scored a time of 9:19.76 in her heat, qualifying to the final. With this, she became the first Indian in 32 years to enter a final in any track event. At the final, she finished 10th with a time of 9:22.74.
Key highlights of the 2016 Summer Olympics
• The opening ceremony took place in the Maracana Stadium on 5 August 2016.
• The Games were officially opened by Acting President of Brazil Michel Temer.
• These were the first Summer Olympic Games under the IOC presidency of Thomas Bach.
• Rio became the first South American city to host the Summer Olympics.
• The two new sports for 2016 Olympic Games were golf and rugby sevens.
• Due to the European migrant crisis and other reasons, the International Olympic Committee allowed athletes to compete as Independent Olympians under the Olympic Flag.
• Due to the suspension of the National Olympic Committee of Kuwait, participants from Kuwait were allowed to participate under the Olympic Flag as Independent Olympic Athletes.
• The official mascot of the 2016 Summer Olympics was Vinicius. It is named after musician Vinicius de Moraes. The mascot represented Brazilian wildlife and carries design traits of cats, monkeys and birds.
About Next 2020 Summer Olympics
• The 2020 Summer Olympics will be held in Tokyo, Japan.
• The city was announced as the host at the 125th IOC Session in Buenos Aires on 7 September 2013.
• The games are planned to be held from 24 July 2020 to 9 August 2020.